Pages

SPOT TRACKER LIVE MAP

Friday, March 9, 2012

All Anglers On The Board....Except Don

Day 1 of Fishing - All anglers landed fish except Don.  The Wheatleys are "team fishing" with one guide.  Gene and Don each have a separate guide.  We all went to different rivers yesterday.  I was on the Mauria River.  I don't know the names of the rivers that the others were on.  The Wheatleys each landed one fish.  Gene landed 1 fish.  I did finally get a hookup on the last try of the day but the fish took off downstream.  I was unable to chase the fish on my side of the river.  While fighting the fish we decided to cross the river and chase it from the other side.  Crossing the river we got into deeper and swifter water than was anticipated.  The guide was holding me up.  At some point I stumbled badly and dropped my rod tip.  At that point the fish broke me off.

These Kiwi guides are a tough lot.  There are long hikes between fish.  When a fish is spotted we have to climb down the river bank, often very steep river banks, and get into position to cast to the fish.  Gene is describing this as "combat fishing", even tougher than Alaska.  

As soon as someone gets me some photos, I will post them here.  All of the fish, including the one I lost, were in the 5lb range. 

Food has been great here - all meals are very upscale and gourmet.  I am told that we are changing chefs for the weekend and it will be more traditional NZ fare.  Lilly Ann, our new cook, has shown up for work.  We'll see how that goes.  I am trying to get our host, Felix Bornstein, to hold still for a brief interview, but he is dodging me at the moment. 

Sorry about the SPOT Tracker problems.  I just don't have the time to figure it out.  I also don't know why the one map shows that from Los Angeles we went around the world the wrong way.  We certainly didn't do that.   Oh well, today is another day.  More later with photos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment