Pages

SPOT TRACKER LIVE MAP

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Driving in NZ

Today's drive reminded me of the problems that Americans have driving here in NZ.  Of course, they drive on the left side of the road here.  That part gets easier as you go......well, until you make a stop and pull out automatically to the wrong side of the road.   That can be dangerous to both parties.  But it goes beyond that - the driver drives from the right side, so you have to relearn which side of the car to get into as a driver or as a passenger.  I am constantly forgetting this.  My guide, Greg, would find it necessary to gently remind me that I was getting into his driver's seat by saying, "I'll drive, thank you!".  Once settled into the drivers seat, the controls are all backwards.  The shift lever is on the center console to your LEFT.  Every time that I want the turn signals, I turn on the windshield washers.  For the wipers I turn on the turn signal.  Then the sight picture while driving is extremely distressing to both the driver and the passenger - maybe, that's just Gene as the passenger.  It's kind of like being home with Barb as my passenger.  There is a constant critique of how I am driving.  Another thing is like home - my passenger never want to drive to show me how much they are at this.

Too much fun.  

I'll try to add some photos to this post later to help you understand our difficulties.  Maybe it's just us!







No comments:

Post a Comment